People are drawn to co-ops by a diverse array of factors, including community building, economic justice, access to healthy foods, to name just a few. A food co-op is a local, member-owned, socially responsible grocery store that offers special benefits (such as discounts and voting rights regarding operations) to owners who buy a share in the business. According to Neighboring Food Co-op Association (NFCA), it’s an autonomous association of people who voluntarily unite to meet common economic, social, and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise. LEARN MORE
For far too long the needs of people searching for healthy, sustainable food choices have been under served in our area. Community members have been trying to get Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods to come. They were not interested. This is great news for Cultivate Community Food Co-op because with our co-op WE can make our own food choices.
We do not have a location yet! We are in Stage 2 of our development and will soon be working with start-up food cooperative professionals to assist us in completing our marketing study and finding a location that will ensure a profitable business for years to come.
Learn more about ownership and become one by CLICKING HERE and following the directions. Be sure to place a free yard sign in your shopping cart upon checking out so you can share with your neighbors that you are now a proud owner of your local food cooperative!
Cultivate Community Food Co-op will be a community-owned, for-profit business governed and guided by a member-elected board. As a member-owner . . .
- you will receive financial benefits when you support the co-op with your food dollars;
- you can vote in the co-op’s annual election for its board of directors;
- you can run for a board position;
- you support a business dedicated to strengthening our local food system;
- your participation strengthens other co-ops throughout California; and,
- you become part of a network of food co-ops across the country and around the world.
By becoming an owner of Cultivate Community Food Co-op you support. . .
- a stronger local economy — you money circulates closer to home;
- a business that is accountable to those it serves, governed and guided by a member-elected board;
- a stable, reliable market for local farmers and producers;
- environmentally sound and sustainable agricultural practices;
- humane animal husbandry;
- a vision of a more sustainable economy with a just and equitable future for food producers; and,
- making food issues visible in an effort to bring food security and safety to all.